Tuesday, October 9, 2012
When Did Parking Lots Become So Dangerous
The modern parking lot can be likened to a maze. You'll find secret walk ways, multi directional traffic and free standing kiosks all attracting your attention. Planted in your line-of-sight you’re surrounded by well landscaped shrubs to make navigating out of the maze even more of a challenge. This is all very dramatic, but when you add in the risk of a fender bender and pedestrian traffic and you’ll understand why there is a need for a refresher on parking lot safety.
When we pull in a parking lot there is a pattern for parking. Some are straight in, others have parking spaces that are on a diagonal and some allow vehicles to move in both directions. No matter how it is set up it is important to pay attention and not be distracted while looking for a place to park.
Parking lot safety isn’t just about navigating in and out of the maze safely. As a driver, you must be aware of your surroundings and ask yourself a few questions:
- Are you pulling into a reserved spot and handicapped space?
- Are you in a well lit area in the parking lot?
- Are you parked next to a large vehicle?
With that in mind ask yourself are you prepared?
- Is your car locked? Are your windows rolled up?
- Are all your valuables hidden such as the GPS, cell phones, laptops, purses, packages, radar detectors and DVD players.
- Are you paying attention when walking, or are you talking on the cell phone / texting? Being distracted can cause a problem.
- Are there strangers hanging around? Are they asking questions?
Upon returning to your vehicle take a few extra precautions to ensure your safety:
- Remember where you parked the car.
- Have your keys ready.
- Take a look around your car before getting in to make sure no one is lurking around, or hiding in the back seat.
Posted by NSC - Traffic Safety at 1:33 PM
- Discover New Discounts on Your Auto Insurance
- Vehicle Emergency – Procedures and Preparedness
- Best and Worst Cities for Texas Drivers
- Refresh Your Driving Skills
- Teen Drivers and Traffic Tickets
- There is No Such Thing as a Motor Vehicle Accident...
- Commonly Missed Warning Road Signs and Single Vehi...
- Graduated Driving License Law Calculator
- Getting your CDL license in Texas can be a Confusi...
- Boating Safety Week