Wednesday, April 11, 2012
The Killer Commute
Most drivers tend to think of the car seat in terms of comfort and appearance while ignoring the fact that the seat is a critical piece of safety equipment in a crash.
The most common type of crash on America's roadways is the rear- end crash and the most common injuries drivers experience from that type of crash are whiplash and spinal injuries. The reason for this is simple. One of the laws of motion says "an object at rest wants to remain at rest." While sitting in a car seat, your body wants to remain at rest. If you are struck from behind by another vehicle, your body will want to remain at rest while the car is rapidly pushed out underneath it. If your seat isn't properly positioned, your body will snap back, followed by your head. This rapid snapping back of the spine and neck is what causes all the back injuries. Those of you who may have experienced this type of injury know that you don't really start to feel the muscles tense up and the associated pain until the next day. If it goes untreated, the trauma can cause long term and sometimes permanent injury.
Learn more about proper car seat position and safety at: Car Seats Aren't Just A Place To Sit
Created by: CollegeAtHome.com
Posted by NSC - Traffic Safety at 8:49 AM
- Common Factors Contributing to Single Vehicle Cras...
- Left Lane Drifters and Careless Driving Tickets
- Seat Belts Are the Primary Life Saving Device in a...
- Traffic Tickets, Suspension and Driver Responsibil...
- Do you need a license to ride a moped?
- The Dangers of Driving in Reverse
- Teens Are Using Cigarettes And Alcohol Less But Sm...
- No Refusal DUI Checkpoints
- Red Light Cameras Don’t Lie But They Don’t Always ...
- Is Your Teen’s Driving Record Trying To Tell You S...